Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Is it Tuesday yet...again? No? guess I'll read a book then.

I washed 4 loads of laundry here at the house and then drove each load to and from the laundromat to dry - every 35-45 minutes for 3 hours. It took just enough commitment that it was pointless to do anything else.

I sat clicking through television stations and adjusting the bunny-ears antenna so I wouldn't clothesline myself. Then, I realized I do, in fact, like Friends and that it was Tuesday, a day of premiers for the WB - Bones, House, (of all things Holy, not Gilmore Girls, give me a Goddam Break already!), and Supernatural; and now I wonder how I got caught up in series television.

I'm scared of commitment. I won't tell someone on Monday that I'll be at their party on Saturday. Used to be anyway. Now, I see myself planning spontaneity around my television schedule. I blame the book industry.

It's hard to stay mad at a good book because the return is worth the year-long anticipation. And, at least it is not mindless television. I got sucked into watching 6 hours of MTVs Real World one afternoon. I'd called in sick just because I needed a day off. I was working fulltime and going to school fulltime - a day from one meant a full day of the other. I needed a day to be stupid and irresponsible. When I surfed onto the first episode of the Real World, it seemed it was the perfect entertainment for that mission.

I felt drained, retarded and numb when I peeled my ass out of the couch hours later. While as pointless as it may seem now, it allowed me to turn a cold shoulder to all reality tv. I did watch the first season of the Apprentice - liked it - but when the second season finally debuted, I'd missed it. Two weeks later, when I found the second season had started, I discovered that I didn't miss it at all.

And, that was that...until today. Watching all those Tuesday premiers, I saw my body sink into a primetime life - Tuesday nights anyway. And I'm sure I'd hate it if I weren't too busy clearing out my Tuesday night schedules for the next few months just because I need something to do that will waste some time between now and next Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home